This week I wanted to round up what Brent police have achieved over the last 18 months to reassure you that we are doing everything we possibly can to make you safer and more confident, whether you live, work or simply pass through our amazing borough.
A lot of this success has been achieved through strong links with our Local Authority, local councillors and other key partners such as probation, CPS, Fire Brigade and many others.
· Total arrests for 2010/11 were 13,183. This amounts to an extra 1,181 arrests on the previous year.
· Brent has the highest arrest rate in London from stop and search (17.5% of all stops result in an arrest, warning, reprimand or caution).
· We have detected more street crime than any other London Borough over the last 2 years (an increase of 60%). This increases our total crime figure which may cause concern, but it is the right thing to do. Simply put, this means that your police are arresting more people for carrying drugs, weapons or articles used to commit crime, offences that if we were not out stopping, searching and arresting people we would not know about. We will not bury our heads in the sand and pretend these offences are not taking place.
· Safer Neighbourhoods Team’s (SNT’s) have been focussing heavily on increasing your confidence by further targeting the minority who commit crime, instil fear or act irresponsibly.
· SNT arrest rates have increased by 62% (up from 567 in 2009/10 to 919 in 10/11).
· SNT detection rates have increased by 289% (up from 470 in 2009/10 to 1360 in 2010/11).
· Brent has the highest detection rate for all crime in London (an increase of 10% since 2009 and still improving).
· Brent has the highest ‘offences brought to justice’ rate in London. Just over 34% of all crime has a criminal brought to justice, a result of good street work by uniformed and plain clothed officers, excellent investigation by Detectives and good prosecution relationships with the Crown Prosecution Service.
· Brent police have executed 424 proactive search warrants (intelligence supplied by you on many occasions) since the 6th June this year. We have been taking the fight to criminals. This is a sign of good partnership working with Brent Local Authority, Fire Brigade, CPS, Neighbourhood Watch and other key partners.
· Confidence has increased from 36% in May 2010 to the current figure of 71% .
· We have placed Detective Sergeants into our SNT’s to review, lead and investigate low level crime.
· All victims of crime now receive a personal call from a Detective where there are potential leads to arrest the perpetrator.
· We have placed Detective Sergeant’s on your 24/7 response teams.
· All this has been achieved with ever pressing demands to supply Brent police officers to support other areas of London due to unprecedented public order demands (demonstrations, summer disorder etc). This commitment has more than doubled over the last 12 months. This is the right thing to do as we have to serve Londoners as and when they need assistance.
I am proud of what my officers and staff have achieved. Your local police officers, PCSO’s, support staff, volunteers and Special Constables are working extremely hard and are totally focussed on 3 things:
1. Reducing crime
2. Arresting those who commit crime
3. Good victim care.
We are having significant successes but we are totally aware of future challenges and will meet them head on. We can do this better with your support - please keep supplying information on those very few amongst us who have no respect for others.
We will respond and I promise to take the fight to them on your behalf.
If you have any information, however small you may feel it is, please contact us via ‘crime stoppers’ on 0800 555111, your local Safer neighbourhood Teams or via the Met Police Website at (www.met.police.co.uk)
Thank you for your continued support.